Entanglement

“The moment I see you, I’m going to hold you so tightly and never let go.”

But what about all the moments we don’t see each other?

Yesterday I got myself a rose and sent you a picture of it. I wanted to hand it to you and watch you smell it and grin at me.

Today I scraped my leg on the edge of our glass table. I texted you about it but I wanted to be there in your arms and make a fuss about it all.

I was mindlessly scrolling through the endless tabs I have open on my phone— song lyrics, movie titles, physics articles, psychology research… I would tell you all about it but for all my writing tendencies, I find it so difficult to text sometimes. I use the backspace button a little too often nowadays.

I read about the red thread of fate. In old Chinese mythology, it is tied around the ankles of two people; in modern tales, it is tied around their little fingers. The two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of place, time, or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle but never break.

Just like you and me.

Quantum entanglement is when two or more particles are made or interact or share spatial proximity in such a way that the quantum state of each particle of the group cannot be described independently of the state of the other(s). Even when a large distance separates the particles. You cannot even observe one particle without influencing the other(s).

Just like you and me. I thought.

I remembered thinking about the red thread when I was painting this one piece. Lines of lives. Ours intertwined with others and yet the red thread of fate connected us, long before our lines meshed with each other’s. Invisible string. Tying you to me. You were always there even when you weren’t. Even when I wasn’t looking. Even when it wasn’t yet the right time. In physics, this is similar to what we call entanglement. Maybe that’s science’s word for fated love. Not fated in a ‘you will end up together each time’ way. More in a ‘you will choose each other eventually no matter what’ way. And I did choose you, and always will, despite everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October

You're Always Leaving

And That’s Life